Wednesday, April 29, 2015

ESSAY 1

Rashee Jackson
Eng. 101
2/17/15
Essay 1


When I was a young child I was always told do to others as you would want to be done to you. This today can also be called “treat others as you want to be treated”. With that being said, this is what I believe. Growing up my whole life I saw myself as a ladies man. Even when I was younger in elementary, I was that kid with the 3 or 4 girlfriends. It started out with notebooks and suckers but in the end it would be something much more expensive my heart. I was a sophomore in high school and to me, life couldn’t be any better. I was a player on the basketball team, I had the best boy duo in town with my best friends, and I was new to a school full of “new kid” wanting girls. When I arrived I would never forget being at lunch and so many people asking who the new kid was. I knew a few of them because I went to a middle school for one year that wasn’t very far from there, but for the rest I was fresh meat in the butcher shop. I had numerous girls leaving notes in my locker, or even handing me notes in the cafeteria. My idea for the year was to stay single so I could focus on basketball and my grades. Until I met what would be my first girl-friend for the year. Her name was Holly, she was a senior and a soccer player. What I liked the most about Holly, she had a car. To some people a car means nothing, but to me it meant everything. Coming from a family that was in poverty, I knew that I getting a car anytime soon would have to fallout the sky, or I was going to have to work for it. Which for me at the time, work wasn’t even an option considering the other things I had going on. Simply put I was having too much fun. None of my friends worked, and they got to focus on school and basketball why couldn’t I? Well because they also had two parents, oppose to me only having my mother. Back to Holly, she would go to practice and why she was there I would have her car. Not to ever mention, I didn’t even have a license. Good thing I was a good driver, and my grandfather had taught me young. That would only last so long before cars, and a lot of girls meant nothing to me. After seeing people have genuine love and care for someone I decided that’s what I wanted too. So I broke up with Holly, and starting looking for what I thought for sure would be “the one”. Then I met Lechunda. She was a starting forward on are girls varsity basketball team. To me it was the start of that movie the “Love and Basketball”. I saw the fame, I saw that she was cute, and I saw that she was single. So I simply asked her out, and she said yes. Man did I think I was in love. I would carry her bags to class, hold her hand, bought her lunch, and even went to her games. I never took girls basketball serious, so that was a big thing for me. Everything was going great for us, so I thought. Until one day I came to school and Lechunda just seemed to be in a weird mood. So as I always do, I joked around with her to see what was wrong, but she was just not feeling it that day. Later the day, I would get the most hurtful text. She said, I just want to be friends. She said it’s not you it’s me. At that point, I was hit with my very own line. I was so confused, and didn’t know what I had done. I just wanted to fix this problem so the pain would go away. That was the first time I truly ever cared for someone. She began to ignore my phone calls, texts, and wouldn’t even go the same places so I couldn’t see her. She act as if I had become some disease. It was cold and I just wanted to know why. It was the beginning of my basketball season and I was no longer focused. I lost my starting spot and got to play back-up to someone who wasn’t even as good as I was. My world had become in flames. I sat and spoke with my mom for days, she could tell I was down and blue. She explained to me that this would not be the last time this happened. In my head it would, because I told myself I would never let it happen again. After days of walking around the school moping around like I had just lost my best friend, I saw Lechunda had gotten a new boyfriend. For some strange reason, I felt a sense of relief. I may have been in love but I wasn’t stupid. It was definitely the deal breaker for me, because I told myself there was no way I would sit around and be sad for a girl who wasn’t thinking about me. Moral of my story was maybe if I didn’t treat Holly like I did, then maybe what happened to me and Lechunda wouldn’t have happened. Maybe it would have happened no matter what, it was probably just my time to receive heartbreak. One thing I do believe in is karma. My “Love Boomerang”, as I like to call it, taught me a valuable lesson. That lesson being treat others as you would want to be treated, and no matter what remember that it may not happened now but love will eventually catch up with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment